Gas Tank Change - 11/14/2009
The gas tank on this car had a tendency to occasionally leak when I bought it 10 years ago. It has gotten more annoying and now I am treated like a mobile superfund cleanup site everywhere I go when the tank gets a little overfull and pukes everywhere (a little gasoline spills and everybody's trippin'!). I ordered a new tank from Ames to replace the existing one.
The working environment has... for lack of a better word, gotten "poorer" since I last had to work on a car. Yeah, in the dirt, in the leaves, in the elements, in the rain. It's 45°F outside and makes it to 55°F before I am done. And did I mention it decided to rain?
Every old line gets cut. No one gets spared or saved.
The first bolt to remove. Convenient how the exhaust is right in the way.
First strap comes down! Does not come out because it is bent into position at the factory apparently, and I would rather not break it to get it out.
The rear-most crossmember has to come out. It's also specially noted to have my trailer hitch solidly welded to it.
The gas tank is out! You can see where it has been leaking... No sign of a buildsheet anywhere.
Draining the tank like a responsible citizen. The extra vents on each side make this an easy proposition.
Sending unit is removed. Sock filter is wasted and gets removed (inline filter before fuel pump). Need to attach a ground due to failure to notice need to remove as tank came down...
Everything is all installed and ready to go. Nifty red lug fixes ground problem (soldered connector for extra reliability!).
Trunk floor isn't bad at all. Gas has stained it, but that's about it.
All of these vents need to be replaced. Thank California for these lines ("thanks California!"). They are all dry-rotted and cracked.
Tank strapped down and in place! Ready for second strap.
Vent lines cut out, removed. Ready for new lines.
All new rubber everywhere. I think that lower left vent is where my one slow drip leak is coming from. It absolutely did NOT want to mate to the tank.
Tank is all installed, and we are all done except for a test run!
After a gas station run, the gauge reads full! That it even reads properly at all makes me ecstatic. Note for these cars: the gauge only sets itself when the engine is running or has been started. Putting the key in run does nothing... I am not sure if this is intended or just some side-effect of the Frankenstein nature of previous owners on this car...
I estimated 2-3 hours for everything, it took 3.5 hours since I had to fight the vents and fight 1 broken nut. This job was hell, but it sure looks nice. Only one slight drip on the first run not near the sending unit lines, and it hasn't resumed since I drove it some more. I'm going to keep an eye out for it though. This job sucks solo, on your back, in the dirt, in the rain and cold. But it was cheaper than paying someone else to do it!
Return to 1972 Lemans Page
Last updated November 14th, 2009