Battery Cables - 02/07/2016

I like factory original stuff that is the correct length, was made to fit, and works, but when it hits the 40+ year mark sometimes it starts to show its age. The battery cables are no exception as they start the car ok, but the cables don't exactly help when the car is hot. Lots of hot start hard starts. So new 1ga cables are the solution!

Original cables sure look nice. But they're only 4ga cable and they're crusty.

New 1ga cable ready to install. I converted from a side post to a top post, I like top post batteries better.

Starter is dropped to get original cable off. You can see the corrosion evident.

Before going too much further, compare the 2 cables to make sure they're similar in length. They're about the exact same length, so it should be good.

Starter is wired up. The end needed to be bent ever so slightly so it could be angled down to avoid routing it up and taking a strange bend over right next to the exhaust.

Starter is in, braces installed. Cables are routed exactly how the block originally had them behind the bracket.

Routing of the cables through the front loop.

Uh oh. I forgot the extra length between a top vs. side post. So it's JUST barely long enough. I'm glad it was as that would have been embarassing. The cable was 48" long and the next size up is 72" so an extra 2' hanging out would have been a little annoying.

Negative original cable, to be replaced as well.

Cleaning up of the head stud with a wire brush to ensure good electrical contact.

New negative cable. It's a foot long.

And new negative cable is in and hooked up.

While I was at it, I decided to install the transmission dust cover to keep dirt and grime out of the flywheel. I located the correct screws in my stash to replace the 3 different metric incorrect ones that was used previously.

And it goes on. Fortunately the previous metric screws were not incorrect enough to completely blow out the threads in the transmission housing so they tightened down just fine if a little loosely while going in.

The choke pull-off was replaced since the original one was stuck and did not allow the choke to slightly pull off.

And yet another thing to do while I have the car up: install a new fuel filter and fuel fittings to eliminate the leaks. Wix part 33033 comes with 4 clamp style fittings and new hose.

New fitting at the fuel pump is installed. I did the return line too, no picture though.

Fuel filter installed. New clamps make it go on easy. The bad rubber on the return line was cut away and a new fitting installed there too even if no picture.

And this is why we replace questionable fuel line. When I pulled a section of fuel hose free it just split on the side where it had been rubbing for who knows how long. Would have been ugly to have happened on the freeway in rush hour...

Another productive day of easy work, yet things that need to get done to bring a car back to regular driving status. While I was doing these other things I also changed the oil, so the car is good to go. There is still a small intermittent coolant leak on the lower hose, so that will probably get replaced before too much longer as well.

Return to 1973 Grand Safari

Last updated February 7th, 2016